Friday, November 7, 2008

November 5th, 2008: The day the world could breath again


Never had I followed so closely or experienced in person an American Presidential Election. But this year, wen I moved to Boston, MA to per-sue my degree in Communication Management as a Fulbright Scholar representing Costa Rica at Emerson College I realized how grad the opportunity to be on American soil during the elections would be.

Three days ago the election finally took place and the outcome was more inspiring and exciting than I ever expected it to be. The reason, the first African-American candidate was elected as president. A simple fact so grand and of such historical importance that I feel incredible blessed to have been able to share with my fellow American students, neighbors, and friends.

At the time the results were called and Barack Hussein Obama was declared President Elect, this city erupted with joy. And I thanked God that the people of the United States of America were able to chose the best option for themselves and for the rest of the world. For this choice doesn't only affect the US, it affects all of us citizens of the globe. And having a global leader who believes in tolerance, respect, honesty, and conveys messages with such level of charisma is a huge step towards peace on our planet.

Amidst the excitement and celebration I must admit it was hard to profoundly savor what this historical election meant. However, the next morning when I woke up, turned the TV and realized it had not been a dream, it was as if the entire planet could breath again.

My congratulations to the American people of this magnanimous achievement. My best wishes for President Elect Obama for the new challenges he must face. And my gratitude to the Fulbright program for giving the opportunity to take that first breath of a more hopeful future on American soil.

Brenna Ruiz-Gordon
Fulbright Scholar rep Costa Rica
MA Communication Management (candidate)
Emerson College
Boston, MA


No comments: